UPDATED NEW LINKS August 31, 2009
The mesmerizing promise of milk, Mallomars and maple syrup via modem is as old as the Internet itself.
It’s powerful, exciting stuff: When I was a partner in the digital agency I founded, Brandscape, we worked for a really smart Boston-based company called ShopLink.
It felt like we had a shot at changing the world. Or at least the pantry. (Hey, you gotta start somewhere).
But, ShopLink hit the same wall that most of the others hit: doing this right turns out to be a very expensive proposition.
Alice.com is different in a lot of ways. Specifically:
- It offers big-box (read “Wal-Mart”) prices and free shipping.
- It has a different business model than traditional e-tail. They take no markup. Instead, Alice.com collects a fee from CPG manufacturers for shipping products out, and passes customer data back to the manufacturer.
- Manufacturers set their own prices.
- They have signed on 5 of the top 10 CPG companies.
A Weiden + Kennedy blogger makes an interesting and smart point here about how “alice.com uses coupons to create value and urgency using three variables — number of personal uses each coupon afforded, the offer expiration data, and the remaining number of available uses for the offer”.
The iCPG Unofficial Alice.com Link Round-Up
Here’s a link round-up and some screen shots, for when your Boss strolls into your office and says “you’re totally on top of this Alice.com thing, right?”
- Alice.com Site
- Alice.com Blog
- Alice.com Facebook Page
- Video of Alice.com in Action
- A Blogger Re: Alice.com Couponing Vs. Amazon.com
- Financial Times On Alice.com
- Ad Age On Alice.com
- CNET On Alice.com
- Mashable On Alice.com
- TechCrunch On Alice.com
- Information Week
- New Online Grocery Alice.Com Might Be CPG Genius (Part One)
- New Online Grocery Alice.Com Might Be CPG Genius (Part Two)
- New Website Aims To Change Consumer Habits (Includes Video)
- Saving with 6abc (Includes Video)
- Inc Magazine Interview With Founders
- Will CPG Retail Be The Latest Victim of Digital?
- Alice Likely To Finally Convince Many To Buy CPG Online (NEW)
Alice.Com Screen Shots